Police: Wanted Man Named ‘Ghost’ Arrested in Hudson Valley
A wanted man with the nickname "Ghost," was found and arrested in the Hudson Valley.
On Wednesday, Monticello police, with the help from New York State Police, arrested Elgin “Ghost” Cotto, 34, of Minnesota after an arrested warrant charged him with criminal possession of a weapon and tampering with physical evidence, felonies.
On Feb. 28, Cotto was stopped by Monticello police for an alleged vehicle and traffic violation on Fulton Street in the Village of Monticello. A check of Cotto’s driver license status showed he was wanted by police in Minnesota on a felony warrant charging him with fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle, police say.
Cotto was arrested as a fugitive from justice and was later extradited back to Minnesota.
At the time of his arrest in Monticello, police allege a loaded 9mm “Star” handgun was found underneath another parked vehicle, near where Cotto was stopped by officers.
A follow-up investigation by Monticello detectives showed Cotto was in possession of the loaded gun and threw it away before he was stopped by authorities.
Cotto was found and arrested in Middletown on Wednesday, police say. He was remanded to the Sullivan County Jail without bail pending further action in Sullivan County Court.
- Hudson Valley Native Murdered at Chili's
- 2 Women Sexually Assaulted in Hudson Valley, Man Arrested
- Hudson Valley Man Named Teacher of the Year
- Hudson Valley Heroin Dealer Sentenced to Life in Prison
- Hudson Valley Child Finds Bags of Drugs in Online Snack Order
- Cops: Armed Man Flees After Sexually Abusing Hudson Valley Woman
- Woman Wins $1 Million at Hudson Valley Casino
- Mold Closes Hudson Valley School For At Least 6 Weeks
- Mold Found at 3 Hudson Valley Schools