A Hudson Valley monument that has been closed to the public for more than 60 years will soon be open to the public once again. Completed in 1887 it is housed on the historic grounds that General George Washington used as a headquarters during the Revolutionary War.

The April 27th grand opening is open to the public and will feature an official ribbon cutting and an opportunity to view the newly restored viewing deck. The views from up top are reportedly second to none.

The original roof of the structure was damaged in the 1950s in a hurricane and access from that point on was restricted. The tower was originally built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the peaceful end of the Revolutionary War. The Hudson Valley played a larger role than you might expect.

Special thanks to Paul from Newburgh Brewing Company for the pictures. We'll be announcing the next edition of WRRV Sessions in their Taproom soon.

Listen to the Wakin' Up With CJ and Jess Show weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM on The Wolf. Stream us live through the website, Alexa-enabled device, Google Home or The Wolf mobile app.

Read more:


More From WZAD-WCZX The Wolf