84 Shutdown For Hours in Hudson Valley After Fatal Accident
A driver was killed while trying to pass a tractor-trailer in the right lane of I-84 in the Hudson Valley.
On Tuesday around 6:30 p.m., New York State Police from Montgomery responded to a motor vehicle accident on Interstate 84 in the town of Montgomery.
A preliminary investigation reveals that a black 2008 Chevrolet pick-up truck was traveling in the passing lane behind a tractor-trailer and another uninvolved vehicle. The pick-up truck then entered the right lane and passed the tractor-trailer and the other vehicle, police say.
The pick-up truck then struck a tractor-trailer in the right lane while trying to return to the passing lane and lost control of the truck, police say.
The truck rolled over several times, traveled about 150 yards, and the driver was thrown from the truck. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene.
Update: Wednesday afternoon, police identified the driver as Thomas E. Hallahan, 32, of Newburgh.
Interstate 84 westbound was closed in both lanes for several hours as police investigated. Traffic was diverted off of exit 5A westbound and getting back on at exit 5.
As State Police continue to investigate they are asking anyone who may have witnessed the accident to contact the State Police at Montgomery at 845-457-1388.
- Woman Who Killed Boyfriend Hopes to be Sentenced Under New Law
- 84 Shutdown For Hours in Hudson Valley After Fatal Accident
- Hudson Valley School Bus Driver Dies After Crash With 22 Students
- Police: Hudson Valley Woman Killed By Pet Dogs Inside Home
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Continues Fight to Stay Open
- Dog Left for Dead on 9W, Help Needed in Finding Suspect
- Billy Crystal Spotted Dining at Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant
- Bear Caught Fishing in the Hudson Valley