Popular Hudson Valley Mall, Supermarket Exposed to Measles
Thousands of holiday shoppers may have been exposed to the measles at a popular Hudson Valley mall as well as a supermarket.
Rockland County health officials confirmed that person with measles visited the Best Buy at the Palisades Mall this past Saturday. The same person also visited Jalapa Express in Spring Valley on Saturday and the Compare Foods Supermarket Thanksgiving night.
"Due to Rockland County's small geographic size, exposure to the measles may occur ANYWHERE in Rockland," the Rockland County Department of Health wrote in a press release. "People may shop, dine, and run errands around the county before they realize they are ill, but are contagious."
Health officials have now confirmed 83 cases of measles in Rockland County, in what is the biggest outbreak in the Empire State in decades.
In early November, Hudson Valley Post reported 40 confirmed cases of measles. In alerts prior it was 33 confirmed cases and 11 confirmed cases.
Last month, it was reported an international traveler with measles visited multiple locations in Rockland and Westchester counties. Among the locations infected with measles was the Costco in Nanuet and Westchester Medical Center.
The Rockland County measles outbreak spread into Orange County. Health officials in Orange County warn that a taxi was exposed to measles.
Symptoms include a fever, rash, cough, conjunctivitis or a runny nose. Symptoms usually appear 10-12 days after exposure but may appear as early as 7 days and as late as 21 days after exposure.
- Hudson Valley Restaurant Among Best in America
- Bus Driver Fatally Hits Man Near Hudson Valley School, Cops Say
- Man Accused of Killing Hudson Valley Man at Work
- Hudson Valley Police Officer Killed in the 'Line of Duty'
- Hudson Valley Man Who Murdered Family Faced Parole Board
- Hudson Valley Woman Killed in Crash With Tractor-Trailer
- 1 Airlifted to Hospital After Hudson Valley School Bus Tips Over
- All of I-84 in the Hudson Valley to get New Exit Numbers
- Hudson Valley Man Killed At Work, Gunman On The Loose
- Remains of 24-Year-Old Found in Bag Outside Hudson Valley Bank
- Marist Graduate Makes NFL History