Hudson Valley Playgrounds Share In Million Dollar Upgrades
Several Hudson Valley parks and playgrounds will see major upgrades as part of a multi-million dollar plan to improve parks and trails across New York State. The $2.9 million in funding is the next phase of the NY Parks 2020 Plan which is a multi-year initiative to make improvements with a focus on New York's state parks.
The New York State Park Department oversees more than 250 parks, historical sites, trails, boat launches and more which are visited by an estimated 74 million people per year. Governor Cuomo had this to say, 'Our State Parks serve as community anchors as well as economic engines for families and business across New York, and this is why we have made their enhancement a top priority.'
- Taconic State Park ($158,000) - Expansion of playground to include equipment for younger children and a bear theme.
- Lake Taghkanic ($245,000) - Expansion of West Beach playground to include new fish theme, along with increased shade structures and an ADA-compliant pedestrian trail to the beach.
- Mills Norrie State Park ($405,000) - Bids opened for a new woodland-themed playground, with construction to start next spring for summer completion.
- Fahnestock State Park ($325,000) - Design work started for a new bird-themed playground at Canopus Lake, with completion estimated in 2020 or 2021.
- Trail signage replacement ($75,000) throughout the region, with work expected to be done by spring 2020.
- Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve - New interpretive panels will be added to the Constitution Marsh Bird Conservation Area, with work expected to be done by spring 2020.
- Backcountry Trails Program ($170,000) - Sterling Forest State Park: Repairs to existing trails, and construction of new Doris Duke Trail and seven-mile Red Back multi-use loop; Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve: Restoration and surfacing improvements to highly-used trails.
Listen to the Wakin' Up With CJ and Jess Show weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM through your Wolf mobile app. Connect with The Wolf on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Hudson Valley Diner Named on National Top 20 List
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Closes Its Doors for Good
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- USA Network Show Takes Place in the Hudson Valley
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Amazing Hudson Valley Truck Crash