Hudson Valley High School Basketball Standout Killed in Crash
A two-time all-state high school basketball player from the Hudson Valley was killed in a car crash.
Monday night, 17-year-old John Guerra, an upcoming senior at S.S. Seward was killed in a one-car accident in Warwick.
"John was an exceptional student athlete who consistently demonstrated leadership and citizenship qualities and touched the lives of all who knew him," Florida Union Free School District Superintendent Jan Jehring said on the school district's website.
The Florida Union Free School District crisis team made preparations to help students deal with the loss. The school counselor, school psychologist, administrators and faculty members will be available at the high school every day this week.
"A student death is a difficult and challenging situation that can generate a high level of anxiety and distress in some students. If you feel that your children are having difficulty, we encourage you to discuss their thoughts and feelings to help them work through their grief or concerns," Jehring wrote.
Guerra was a two-time all-state basketball player at S.S. Seward, according to New York State Sportswriters Association.
"The entire FUFSD community mourns the loss of John Guerra. This is a difficult time for everyone. I know our students and staff will lean on each other as they fondly remember their classmate. Our heartfelt condolences and thoughts go out to John’s family and friends," Jehring said.
- 1 Missing While Swimming in Hudson River, 5 Rescued
- Hudson Valley High School Basketball Standout Killed in Crash
- Exotic Tick Found in Hudson Valley for First Time
- Hudson Valley Camp Counselor Charged With Rape
- Hudson Valley Woman, Former Cop Killed 9 Horses
- Beloved Hudson Valley Pizzeria Owner Killed in 684 Crash
- Likely Rabid Fox on the Loose in Hudson Valley, Many Bit
- 3rd Poughkeepsie Gang Member Charged in Teen's Murder
- Teen Killed in Upper Hudson Valley Crash
- 2 Hudson Valley Officers Jailed For Brutal Inmate Beating