New York Schools Could Add 6 New Holidays To Calendar
A new bill is being considered that would add 6 new calendars to the academic year for New York schools.
According to CBS New York, there is a new bill in Albany that would add 6 new holidays to school calendars in New York. They would be religious holidays added to the calendar. State Sen. Kevin Thomas, D-Garden City is sponsoring the bill.
If passed, districts would have the ability to close on six additional religious holidays: two Islamic, two Hindu, one Sikh, and one Christian. The bill would only allow closure when 7.5% of the student population is of that faith. If the bill is passed, no holidays that are currently on the academic calendar for closure would be eliminated if the student population is under 7.5%.
Do you support closing school for additional holidays? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below or on our Facebook.
Listen to the Wakin' Up With CJ and Jess Show weekday mornings from 6AM to 10AM through your Wolf mobile app. Connect with The Wolf on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Hudson Valley Diner Named on National Top 20 List
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Closes Its Doors for Good
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- USA Network Show Takes Place in the Hudson Valley
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Amazing Hudson Valley Truck Crash