DA: 2 Medical Workers Gave Out Over $600,000 Worth of Oxycodone
Two medical employees are among 18 accused of trafficking heroin, cocaine and prescription drugs in the Hudson Valley.
On Wednesday, Orange County District Attorney David M. Hoovler and Orange County Sheriff Carl DuBois announced 18 were charged with crimes pertaining to the trafficking of heroin, cocaine and prescription medications throughout Orange County as part of an enforcement action conducted by the Orange County Drug Task Force and the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.
The enforcement action primarily used undercover police officers to purchase heroin, cocaine and prescription medications. As a result of the investigation, six were charged with felony conspiracy charges. Two were also charged with operating as a major trafficker for causing 51,375 oxycodone pills, having a street value of over $625,852, to be illegally dispensed, officials say.
Those charged in the enforcement action include Kevin Fernandez-Paz, 20, of Wallkill, and Jeffery Wanyu-Arenas, 20, of Newburgh and Virginia Salinas, 20, of Newburgh who are accused of trafficking cocaine Village of Monroe.
Jodee O’Dell, 38, of Goshen, and Vanessa Hinkley, 40, of Pine Bush were both charged with operating as a major trafficker. Both work at the BAJA Medical Offices, PLLC, in the Village of Goshen and are alleged to have caused electronic prescriptions for oxycodone to be issued in the names of people who were never patients of that medical office.
It is alleged they did this by using electronic devices in their office to generate the prescriptions without the medical staff, including the doctors, being aware of the prescriptions being issued.
Using the fraudulent electronic prescriptions O’Dell and Hinckley allowed 51,375 oxycodone pills, with a street value of $625,852, to be dispensed, officials say.
All of the names arrested can be seen below.
- Hudson Valley Couple Goes Viral For Wedding Mishap
- Police Save Man From Jumping Off I-84 Bridge in Hudson Valley
- Teen in Critical Condition After Moped Accident in Hudson Valley
- High-Risk Hudson Valley Sex Offender Arrested Again
- Potentially Explosive Devices Placed Near Local Supermarket, Mall
- Beloved Restaurant Owner, Community Activist Killed by Police
- Cops: Hudson Valley Teacher, Coach Had Sex With Minor For Months
- ICE Arrests 31 in New York State, 6 in Hudson Valley