New York Resident Reports Seeing Mountain Lion in Middle of Road
A New York resident believed he spotted a mountain lion taking a casual stroll down in the Empire State.
Cici Marie LaPierre posted a video to Facebook of an animal walking on Main Street, near the NAPA Auto Parts, in Saranac Lake. In the video, you can hear a man wondering if the animal is a "mountain lion." If you watch the video, posted below, Lite 98.7 wisely recommends watching with the sound off if you're in public, at work, or in front of children.
The video quickly went viral with many wondering what the animal could be.
Some commented it was a "mountain lion" others said it could be a "lynx" or "cougar" while many believed it was a "bobcat." One even wondered if it could be a mountain lion-bobcat hybrid.
NYUP spoke with a research expert who said the animal in the video is not a mountain lion.
"It’s definitely a bobcat with the short tail with a black tip,” Curtis said, noting that the likelihood of an actual mountain lion sighting in New York State is incredibly low. Cornell University professor in the Department of Natural Resources Paul Curtis told the website. "Cougars occasionally pass through New York, but there are no known breeding populations in the state,” he said in an email. “I know of two credible sightings of mountain lions in the 30 years that I have been in New York."
Take a look at the video below. What do you think?
- Measles Confirmed in Hudson Valley, 'More Exposures Possible'
- Celebrities From Hudson Valley Comment On Controversial SNL Skit
- New York Resident Reports Seeing Mountain Lion in Middle of Road
- Traffic Expected In Area During Services For Fallen NYPD Officer
- Police Search For Driver After Fatal Hit-And-Run Near West Point
- Manhunt For Man Who May Have Killed Wife in Hudson Valley
- SNL Mocks Hudson Valley, Ratings Crumble
- Secrets From Action Park Explored in Documentary
- NYPD Officer From Hudson Valley Killed by Friendly Fire