Name Change Alert: Say Goodbye To The Bear Mountain Bridge
It looks as though another bridge has been renamed, as Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the name change into law Tuesday.
The Bear Mountain Bridge that connects Putnam and Westchester Counties to Orange and Rockland has been renamed the Purple Hearts Veterans Memorial Bridge.
In June, the bill that changed the name was passed by the state Legislature. Governor Andrew Cuomo signed it into law Tuesday, according to Lohud.
Naming the bridge to honor Purple Heart recipients is tied in part to the changing of the name of the Tappen Zee Bridge
In May 2017, Senate passed a bill to name the replacement Tappen Zee as the "Purple Heart Memorial Bridge."
However, a month later, Cuomo led an effort to name the bridge after his late father, Gov. Mario Cuomo.
The legislature then passed a bill to name the old and new Tappen Zee Bridge as the gov. Mario Cuomo Bridge, which is fully opened now.
What is your opinion regarding the name changes to the bridges in the Hudson Valley?
- Hudson Valley Diner Named on National Top 20 List
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Closes Its Doors for Good
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- USA Network Show Takes Place in the Hudson Valley
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Amazing Hudson Valley Truck Crash