NY 2023 Fall Foliage Predictions! This Is When You’ll See Peak Colors!
What will Autumn be like in New York State this year? Fall officially begins on Saturday September 23rd but what does the leaf-peeping timeline look like? Experts state that now is the time to make your plans because the season goes quickly.
The United States Forest Service reports that there are several factors that determine when the leaves will start to change, reach mid-peak color and finally peak conditions. The type of tree, the weather and the length of night are all factors in the how and the when. This is what you can expect for 2023.
How brilliant will the leaves be this year? It's impossible to predict with 100% accuracy but some experts claim that it will be fantastic once it arrives but may be slow in changing. New York Fall Foliage indicates that the Adirondacks high points should reach peak the week of September 25th.
There are typically 6 good fall-foliage weeks in New York State and we are very early in the leaf changing game for 2023. A small sample of trees have already started to change according to I Love NY.
Here are some New York regions to keep an eye on for nature's fireworks.
- The Adirondacks: Peak by mid-October
- The Catskills: Peak the first or second week of October
- Capital Region: Peak by the second week of October
- Central New York: Peak by the middle of October
- Finger Lakes Region: Peak by late October
- Greater Niagara: Peak by the last week of October
- Hudson Valley: Peak by the third week of October
- Long Island: Peak by November
Keep checking back for updates!