Dad Arrested For Not Paying Nearly $40,000 in Child Support
Police say they arrested a Hudson Valley dad who fled to Brooklyn after not paying nearly $40,000 in child support.
On Tuesday, the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office announced John F. Cevallos, 41, of Swan Lake is in the Sullivan County Jail after violating a family court order to pay child support.
He was arrested on Saturday, Feb. 1, after Sullivan County detectives from the welfare fraud task force tracked him to the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn. Cevallos was taken into custody during a car stop with the help of the NYPD.
Cevallos owes $38,932.73 in child support, police say. He was transported back to Monticello where he was committed to the Sullivan County Jail. He is expected to serve a 6-month sentence, according to the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
- Winter Weather Could Turn Hudson Valley Roads Into 'Skating Rink'
- 'Iconic' Mario M. Cuomo Bridge is Getting a Makeover
- Story of Hudson Valley Woman's Disappearance, Death Hits Netflix
- Culinary Honors Anthony Bourdain With Campus Memorial
- Hudson Valley City One of '50 Worst Cities to Live In' in U.S.
- Many Protest Drag Queen Story Hour in Hudson Valley
- 150 Acre Hudson Valley Farm With Equestrian Facility is For Sale