Police: Employee Stole Nearly $70K From Hudson Valley Church
A Kingston woman is accused of stealing nearly $70,000 from her employer.
On 6/21/17 members of the Archdiocese of New York met with members of the Ulster County District Attorney's Office to report the possible misappropriation of funds by an employee at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, located at 242 Wall Street Kingston NY.
An investigation was conducted, and resulted with the arrest of former Assistant Administrator of St. Joseph's Church, Amanda Weiss.
Weiss, 28, of Kingston is accused of stealing a total of $68,675.80 from the accounts of St. Joseph's Church, and from the personal account of a priest stationed at St. Joseph's Church.
The theft of the monies occurred over a 20 month period. Weiss is accused of falsifying business records, those records being bank records, invoices, and the church check register.
Ms. Weiss is also accused of possessing forged checks and stolen checks.
Weiss was arrested on August 31, 2017 and charged with the following:
- Scheme to Defraud First Degree
- Grand Larceny Second Degree
- Falsifying Business Records First Degree (4 counts)
- Criminal Possessionof a Forged Instrument Second Degree (26 counts)
- Grand Larceny Third Degree
- Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument Second Degree (6 counts)
- Criminal Possession of Stolen Property Third Degree