Health Officials: Don’t Buy, Toss & Stop Eating This Lettuce Now
Health officials are warning everyone to stop eating, throw out and don't buy this type of lettuce because of its dangerous health effects.
The CDC, FDA and health officials from Canada are advising everyone to not eat any romaine lettuce and retailers and restaurants to not serve any romaine lettuce due to an E.coli outbreak.
According to the CDC, 32 people have been infected by E.coli after eating romaine lettuce. 13 were hospitalized, including one person who developed hemolytic uremic syndrome, a type of kidney failure. No deaths have been reported.
The Public Health Agency of Canada has identified 18 ill people infected with the same E. coli.
Evidence from the United States and Canada indicates that romaine lettuce the likely source of the outbreak, according to the CDC.
"CDC is advising that consumers do not eat any romaine lettuce because no common grower, supplier, distributor, or brand of romaine lettuce has been identified," the CDC said in a press release.
This current outbreak is similar to strains of E. coli associated with a previous outbreak from the fall of 2017 that also affected consumers in both Canada and the U.S, the FDA reports. The 2017 outbreak of E. coli was associated with leafy greens in the U.S. and romaine in Canada.
This year, romaine lettuce is the suspected vehicle for both the U.S. and Canadian outbreaks, according to the FDA.
This investigation is ongoing and the CDC says they will provide more information as it becomes available.
- Police: Teen Killed In Front of Hudson Valley Restaurant
- Hudson Valley Officer Accused of Killing Ex-Wife
- Human Remains Found in Bag in Hudson Valley, Police Need Answers
- Smoke From Deadly California Wildfires Reaches New York
- 9 Tips To Keep Your Family Safe From Thanksgiving Salmonella
- Hudson Valley Infant Suffers Significant Burns To Body
- Local Weather Experts Predicts More Snow Than Normal This Winter
- Watch Out For This Deadly Turkey This Thanksgiving
- Pregnant Hudson Valley Woman Killed, Teen Clings To Life