Why Are There So Many Lady Bugs All Over Connecticut?
Now that the weather is getting cooler outside, insects are looking for a warmer place to go, and our homes are the perfect fit.
You may have noticed more creepy crawling insects in your home recently, but more so you may have noticed a large number of ladybugs either in your home, or all over the outside.
Well not only is fall in full swing, but it's time for these insects to seek warmer shelter to get them through the winter months. Now according to ctpost.com, the ladybugs you may be seeing in and around your home may not be the ladybugs that are native to Connecticut. These bugs may be what they call Harmonia Axyridis, or the Asian Lady Beetle. If you see a swarm of them on the side of your house, it's because they are attracted to white structures. See, in their native habitat, they usually hibernate in areas under white stone cliffs. So you have a choice, either address the problem or paint your house a different color.
Once the days turn even cooler, these ladybugs will start to seek shelter inside and find a spot to settle in for the winter.
So the big question everyone who's experiencing this problem want to ask is, are there more ladybugs this year than in previous years?
The answer isn't that simple. The ladybugs are a product of the aphid population. If there are more of them around during the summer months, then there will be more ladybugs around since it's one of the main staples in the ladybug's diet.
So what should you do if you have a ladybug infestation? Thanks to thisoldhouse.com, there are a few simple steps you can take to try and get rid of the pests.
- Vacuum up the bugs and put the contents in the trash outside.
- Don't wait, once they find a spot they generally release a pheromone that attracts even more bugs to the area.
- Seal up any cracks or opening around windows, doors and air conditioners where bugs may be able to sneak in.
- Use dish soap which works as a natural repellant.
- Use LED light traps, or you can even use duct tape to catch them.
- Use mums, either inside or outside your home to deter them. They do not like the smell of flowers and will stay clear of those area's.
I'm sure you heard the old myth that ladybugs are good luck if they land on you, and bad luck if you kill them. Well keep in mind this is just a myth and should not deter you in any way from getting rid of the problem as soon as possible.
Here's a helpful tutorial video on different ways to get rid of those ladybugs who are trying to take over your home or apartment.