Everyone hates bed bugs. The disgusting parasites swarm homes across the world, leaving unwary victims covered in blisters and bite marks, not to mention ruining mattress and other furnishings.

There is, however, a way to properly dispose of the pests. One woman from Lyons, New York did not follow such advice. WROC is reporting that a 39 year-old woman allegedly used a lighter to kill a bed bug in her apartment Sunday morning. This probably wasn't such a great idea considering her uncle had just spayed the room with alcohol, according to WROC.

WROC says her mattress caught on fire which caused damage inside the apartment. The fire set off the sprinkler system which then caused damage to other apartments in the building.

WROC says the woman has been charged with arson in the 4th degree and was issued an appearance ticket.

No word whether or not the bed bugs survived after the whole ordeal.

Read more:

BONUS VIDEO