Hudson Valley Man Killed While Trying to Avoid Bus on Route 9W
A Hudson Valley man lost his life while trying to avoid a bus on Route 9W.
On Tuesday around 3 p.m., New York State Police from Catskill responded to a two-vehicle crash on State Route 9W and Schoharie Turnpike in the town of Athens.
According to State Police, an investigation revealed that an uninvolved Greene County Transit bus was stopped in the southbound lane waiting to turn left at a green light due to oncoming traffic. A 2011 Subaru Impreza, driven by Eric Wallace, 29, of Catskill, was also traveling south and moved into the northbound lane of State Route 9W to avoid the Greene County Transit bus.
After entering the opposite lane of travel, the Subaru was struck head-on in the intersection of State Route 9W and Schoharie Turnpike by a 2004 GMC pick-up truck, police say.
Wallace was pronounced deceased at the scene.
"My heart is broken. Such a sweet sweet guy," Cynthia Lucinda White Ferriere wrote on Facebook.
Wallace went to Catskill Senior High School and worked as a marketing assistant at Pete Fowler Construction, according to his Facebook.
The operator of the pick-up truck exited his vehicle uninjured, police say. The investigation into the crash is ongoing.
- Swastikas Found Carved Into Lower Hudson Valley Starbucks
- Famed Goodyear Blimp Spotted in Hudson Valley (PHOTOS)
- Former MLB Pitching Coach to Coach in Hudson Valley
- Bear Crashes Into Car During Rush Hour In Lower Hudson Valley
- Cash4Life Winning Ticket Sold in Hudson Valley
- Kelsey Grammer Opens Tavern in Catskills
- Man Makes Wrong Turn, Wins $1 Million at Hudson Valley Store
- Police: 15 Hudson Valley Businesses Sold Alcohol To Minor