Hudson Valley Judge Resigns After Divorce Conflict of Interest
A respected long-time judge in the Hudson Valley resigned after a conflict of interest in a divorce case.
In 2017, while working as a part-time attorney, New Paltz Justice Jonathan Katz was asked to sign an arrest warrant and an order of protection against the husband of a woman he was representing, the New York Post reports.
Instead of saying he had a conflict of interest because he was representing the man's wife in their divorce, Katz signed the papers and continued to represent the man's wife.
According to the New York Post, the order of protection forced the man out of his New Paltz home, a key point Katz was hoping for in the divorce.
A formal judicial probe was launched in February. On Thursday, Katz stepped down after admitting to the complaints against him, the New York Post reports.
- Eatery With '#1 Cheesesteak in The World' Closes in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Man Run Over By Car While Trying to Cross Highway
- Tick Carrying Deadly Brain Swelling Virus Spotted Near New York
- Wanted Man Accused of Murdering Dog in Lower Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Judge Resigns After Divorce Conflict of Interest
- Elderly Hudson Valley Man Dead, Wife Critically Injured in Crash
- Which Hudson Valley County Has The Most STDs?
- 'State-Of-The-Art Supermarket' Being Built in Hudson Valley
- The Hudson Valley School Districts With The Best Teachers
- Have You Seen This Hudson Valley Man?