Hudson Valley Firefighter Killed by Local Ambulance
A firefighter from the Hudson Valley was fatally hit by an ambulance.
Nicholas McKeon was fatal hit by on Sunday just before 6 a.m. by a Port Jervis ambulance responding to a call.
"Tragically, the Port Jervis Fire Department lost an exceptional, dedicated and hardworking young member of our department in a tragic accident on Sunday morning," the Port Jervis Fire Department said. "The Officers and members of the PJFD would like to express our deepest sympathy and offer our prayers and thoughts to his family, fellow firefighters and friends."
The 22-year-old Port Jervis firefighter, for an unknown reason, fell asleep near the bay door of the Port Jervis Volunteer Ambulance Corps. An ambulance responding to a call ran over and killed McKeon, police say.
"We are deeply saddened by the events that occurred and our deepest condolences are with the family and friends of Mr. McKeon. We also want to express our condolences to the members of Port Jervis Fire Department Engine 2. This was a tragic accident that we would never wish upon any family or community. Port Jervis Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Inc. is cooperating with all police investigations," the Port Jervis Ambulance Corps wrote on Facebook.
Port Jervis Police Chief William Worden told the New Jersey Herald it appears the 22-year-old laid down and fell asleep while walking home after stopping by a few local businesses Saturday night. An investigation into the fatal accident is ongoing and police say they will look into a toxicology report and try to determine if the ambulance's sirens were activated.
A GoFundMe page was started to help McKeon's family pay for the funeral.
A wake will be held Thursday at the Knight-Auchmoody Funeral Home on East Main Street in Port Jervis, according to Orange and Rockland County Fire.
- Hudson Valley Firefighter Killed by Local Ambulance
- Beloved Teacher, Doctor Dies Racing in Hudson River
- Hudson Valley School Bus Driver Confesses to Fatal Hit-And-Run
- New Plant Will Produce Nearly 1,000 Hudson Valley Jobs
- Hudson Valley Bridge, Road Closed For Days During Rush Hour
- Cops Investigate Likely Child Abduction Attempt in Hudson Valley
- 3 Winning Lottery Tickets Sold in Hudson Valley
- Hudson Valley Family Left Homeless, Carless After Massive Fire
- Hudson Valley Woman Accuses President Trump of Sexual Assault