Two Kids Attacked by Sharks Off New York Coast
This is exactly why a lot of people still stay out of the ocean.
A frightening scene unfolded late Wednesday morning, as NBC NY reports that two kids were attacked by two separate sharks off Fire Island.
NBC says that a spokesperson from the town of Islip reported that a 13-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl were both bitten during two separate incidents. The attacks happened off Atlantique Beach and Sailors Haven respectively.
What makes this story even more horrifying is that the 13 year-old boy actually had the tooth from one of the sharks still lodged in his leg.
NBC reports that the tooth has been sent for analyzation to determine the species of shark. Some witnesses claim they saw what is called a sandbar shark offshore. Sandbar sharks are common in the Atlantic and can grow to be up to eight feet long.
Both kids will be okay, though sources say at least one of them was taken to the hospital out of precaution.
Shark attacks off the New York coast are rare, so two in day, only four and half miles apart, is unprecedented. NBC says that 1837 only ten attacks have been reported.
- Hudson Valley Diner Named on National Top 20 List
- Popular Hudson Valley Restaurant Closes Its Doors for Good
- Hudson Valley Waitress Brought to Tears Over Surprise Tip
- USA Network Show Takes Place in the Hudson Valley
- New York Lake Named Most Beautiful in America
- Amazing Hudson Valley Truck Crash