Orange County Graduates Several Police K-9’s
The Orange County Sheriff's Office hosted the graduation of its K-9 Academy for Explosives and Narcotics detection dogs on Friday at the county's Emergency Services Center in Goshen. The graduates represent several Hudson Valley law enforcement agencies in the Hudson Valley.
Orange County Executive Steven Neuhaus and Orange County Sheriff Carl DuBois joined with elected officials and several law enforcement officials to celebrate the completion of the intensive training led by Orange County Sheriff's Sergeant David Campbell and apprentice trainers Sgt. Palen of the Orange County Sheriff's Office and Sgt. Jose Rodriguez of the US National Park Service. The training teaches the K-9's to locate and then indicate on the presence of narcotics or explosives orders. The narcotics training takes eight weeks and the explosives course is twelve weeks long.
Orange County Sheriff Carl DuBois said "today was a special day and this collaboration between the Orange County Sheriff's Office and our local police departments help to make our communities more safe and secure for all of our residents." In addition to recognizing the graduates on their accomplishments DuBois recognized Sergeant Campbell for his twenty years of service with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, the last sixteen of which were with the K-9 unit. Campbell is retiring next month. DuBois said "David commanded respect and will be greatly missed. He is a consummate professional and cared deeply about his work with the K-9 unit."
The class graduated eight K-9's:
- Orange County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Dustin Palen and his partner Skip.
- Rockland County Sheriff's Deputy Kevin Golden and his partner Lennon.
- Rockland County Sheriff's Deputy Allen Lopez and his partner Bam.
- Town of Woodbury Police Officer Jahn Farrell and his partner Zeke.
- Town of Wallkill Police Officer Ian Holmes and his partner Argo.
- City of Port Jervis Police Officer Andrew Haniok and his partner Roan.
- Village of Goshen Police Sergeant John Mann and his partner Melville.
- Orange County Sheriff's Deputy Chris Irwin and his partner Kato.
- City of Middletown Police Officer Jordan McInerney and his partner Storm.