Hudson Valley Man Found Guilty of Crash That Killed Young Woman
Officials say a Hudson Valley man was driving high and speeding when he lost control and I-84 and crashed into a tree, killing his female passenger.
On Wednesday in Orange County Court, 28-year-old Gregory Cardona of New Windsor was convicted of criminally negligent homicide after a jury trial, in connection with the August 2016 death of a woman.
At the trial, prosecutors proved that sometime between the late-night hours of August 29, 2016, and the early-morning hours of August 30, 2016, Cardona lost control of his 2005 Honda on the ramp of Exit 4W off I-84 in the Town of Wallkill.
Cardona left the road, drove down an embankment and crashed into a tree. The accident resulted in the death of a female passenger.
Cardona’s wrecked car was found the next morning by a volunteer fireman. The fireman found the dead woman and Cardona, who was trapped in the driver’s seat, with severe injuries.
Prosecutors argued that an analysis of Cardona’s blood showed that he was under the influence of marijuana at the time of the crash and was speeding.
“No family should have to live with the agony of losing a loved one because someone drove irresponsibly,” Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said. “While no disposition in a court case can possibly compensate for the loss of a loved one, my office will do all in its power to hold responsible for their actions those who kill or injure others while driving in a careless manner. We intend to recommend that this defendant be sentenced to the maximum state prison sentence authorized under the law.”
Cardona is currently serving two consecutive state prison sentences of two to six years each, for unrelated grand larceny and forgery charges.
Cardona faces up to an additional two to four years in prison for the criminally negligent homicide when sentenced in June.
- DA: 28 Arrested During Hudson Valley Drug Sale Investigations
- Hudson Valley Man Found Guilty of Crash That Killed Young Woman
- Hudson Valley Man Found With over 7,000 Doses of Heroin
- Hudson Valley Teen Continues to Fight For Life From Flu
- 22 Hudson Valley Towns Have Smallest English Speakers in New York
- 9 Hikers Rescued From Snow Covered Mountain in Hudson Valley
- Police Save Suicidal Child in Hudson Valley
- Police: School Employee Attempted to Rape Teen in Hudson Valley
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Sexually Assault Child For Over 2 Years
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley