Hudson Valley Man Convicted of Multiple Sex Crimes With Child
A jury found a local man guilty of raping a child and more.
On Thursday in Sullivan County Court, a jury trial found 50-year-old Vernon Newhall of Bloomingburg guilty of two counts of second-degree rape, third-degree rape, criminal sexual act and endangering the welfare of a child.
According to court documents, during a nearly two-year period, Newhall engaged in a sexual relationship with a female between the ages of 14 and 16 years old.
Newhall engaged in numerous acts of sexual intercourse and oral sexual conduct with the young girl, officials say. Newhall was arrested in Nov. 2016 after the girl told a school nurse about the abuse.
"The sexual assault of our children cannot be tolerated," Sullivan County District Attorney Jim Farrell said. "This victim displayed tremendous courage and bravery in coming forward to confront her abuser.”
Newhall faces up to 20 years in prison when sentenced in August.
- Man Found Dead Behind Building In Hudson Valley
- Alleged Walmart Masturbator Arrested For Filming Woman Changing, Police Say
- Second Person Accuses Dutchess County Lawyer of Sexual Touching
- Ulster County Man Was High, Drunk During Crash That Killed Passenger, Police Say
- Police: Hudson Valley Man Kicked Out of Bar, Returns With Rifle
Wanted Hudson Valley sex offenders and a number of tragedies are among this week's top 5 local news stories.