GoFundMe Set Up For Hudson Valley Officer Hit By Fleeing Driver
The innocent person hit head-on by a driver fleeing police was an off-duty police officer who could use your help.
A GoFundMe page has been setup up for officer Kristopher Kolvenbac. The 27-year-old works part-time for three police departments, Village of Maybrook, Village of Walden and Village of Montgomery, according to his GoFundMe page.
On Tuesday around 8:30 a.m., Town of Crawford Police tried to stop a car heading east on Route 17K for an alleged traffic violation. Instead of pulling over, the driver fled.
The fleeing driver lost control while rounding a curve, entered the westbound lane and struck Kolvenbac’s oncoming car head-on. Kolvenbac was heading home after working an overnight shift.
Kolvenbac was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center with neck and leg injuries, police say.
“His injuries will likely keep him out of work for up to six months,” Eric Metzger wrote on the GoFundMe page he set up to help Kolvenback offset his medical costs. “Because he's part-time and not eligible for 207c benefits, his bills will be difficult to pay without help.”
The fleeing driver was killed in the crash.
- Will the Hudson Valley See Snow This Weekend?
- Woman Killed by Oncoming Train in Hudson Valley
- Teacher From Hudson Valley Found Dead in School Bathroom
- Coywolf Spotted in Lower Hudson Valley, on Palisades Parkway
- Violent, High-Risk Sex Offender Moves Near Hudson Valley School
- Police: Hudson Valley Teen Sets Fire to Home
- Police: Hudson Valley Couple Snorted Heroin Near Child
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley