Five Gross Things That Are Allowed in Food
Not sure if you want to hear this but there is some really nasty things that are allowed in our foods.
The people over at Live Science came out with a list of some really disgusting things that the Food and Drug Administration actually allow in some of the foods we love.
Here are the top 6, or should I say the bottom 6, the worst of the worse:
1. Ground-up insects. It's impossible to prevent it sometimes and they say that a jar of cinnamon can have about 400 insect fragments, a jar of oregano can have thousands and an ounce of the stuff in Fig Newtons can contain up to four insect heads.
2. Mouse poop. There are small traces of it in everything from popcorn to flour.
3. Mold. Lots of foods have trace amounts of it, including ketchup. But the grossest one might be canned peaches as the FDA allows up to 3% of them to be, "wormy or moldy."
4. Maggots. A 24-ounce jar of tomato sauce can have one-and-a-half maggots in it and some orange juice can have the equivalent of one maggot per cup.
5. Rat hair. It's found in a lot of spices, but also ends up in peanut butter, chocolate, and pasta.