Fire at HealthAlliance Hospital Hurts 3
The fire happened Sunday on the Kingston campus.
According to the Daily Freeman, the fire was called in by employees who quickly activated an alarm in the furnace room where the fire had started. They then closed the door to the furnace room to prevent the spread of smoke and fumes and then attempted to extinguish the fire and during their attempt at putting the fire out three were treated for smoke inhalation.
Kingston Assistant Fire Chief Chris Rea told the Freeman that fire fighters arrived on the scene on Sunday at 9:06 p.m. to find that employees had partial put out the fire with fire extinguishers but then realized they were unable to control the fire, so they left the room and closed the door behind them and awaited the arrival of the fire department.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire but it did cause extensive damage to one of the facility’s oil-fired hot water heaters.
The fire caused heavy smoke that was cleared using fans and all floors of the hospital were checked and cleared for carbon monoxide.
The hospital was not evacuated and the injured employees names and conditions were not immediately available.