62-Year-Old Hudson Valley Woman Charged With Murder
A 62-year-old woman from the Hudson Valley was charged with murder. Police say she poisoned the victim.
On Saturday around 7:15 p.m., members of the Shandaken Police Department responded to a rear apartment on Route 214 in Phoenicia, after receiving a call from Solane H. Verraine who told authorities there was a death inside the home.
Arriving officers believed the death was suspicious and requested the help of the Ulster County Sheriff's Office Detectives, authorities say.
Verraine, 62, from Phoenicia was taken to the Ulster County Law Enforcement Center for questioning. During questioning, Verraine told officials she poisoned the victim with a combination of alcoholic beverages and prescription drugs, police say.
Verraine was charged with second-degree murder, a felony. She was arraigned in Town of Hurley Justice Court and remanded to the Ulster County Jail without bail.
The victim has been identified as 62 year-old John W. Owings Jr.
- SUNY New Paltz Student Stabbed at Bar.
- Kingston Dentist Once Accused Of Murder Guilty of Lesser Charge.
- Police: 3 Found With Baby and Heroin In Car In Ulster County.
- Mumps Continues to Spread at Local College.
- Police: Ulster County Man Sold Drugs Near School.
- Racist Graffiti Found in SUNY New Paltz Bathroom.
- Ulster County Sex Offender Relocated